Thursday, November 27

Thnksgiving on the Beach

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. We have been busy for the last month+ just trying to get settled in. We lived in temporary housing, a townhouse, for one month, then moved into a bigger place that we are renting for a year, before probably buying a house out here. Our first two weeks in this house, we had no furniture...all that finally came two days ago, and the house is now chatotic. So far, we think Hawaii is a great place...to visit...but think it unlikely we'd want to stay beyond the initial three years.

It seems very wierd to be celebrating Thanksgiving with temperatures near 80. Since we are just now unpacking, we are joining about 180 coworkers for a potluck Thanksgiving, on the beach?!?!? That may sound good, but again, it is a little surreal.

Since moving here, we've been using our webcam with Skype so that Erik and Erin can stay in touch with their best friends in Maryland, and it works great. I hope we can do that with any of you out there who are willing. Skype is free, and Skype to Skype calls are free, so we can have videoconferences for nothing. A pretty good deal.

Have to run, to get ready for my first Thanksgiving on the Boogie Board, so have a great day, and I'll try to post today's pictures when we get home.

8 comments:

  1. Don't bother looking up "chatotic," just delete one of the t's and it may make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what area do you live in case someone wants to visit sometime? You know for hotel location. Yea that would be a weird Thanksgiving, but after rain and chilly I might be able to put up with it for a day or 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely be able to put up with it...I'm cold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live in the center of the island, in Mililani. It is about equally distant to beaches north and south, about 20-25 minutes away. But what hotel? We may be farther from the beach, but we are way cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like your town is not very big. I dont find any hotels in town at all. Do you and family have any vacations planned? It would be bad if me and Cath came there and you guys were gone altho you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we will be in Korea for a couple of weeks when the kids are out of school for Spring break in March, something like March 13-30. Other than that, no travel plans. No hotels up here, but we rented a house with an extra bedroom hoping for some guests...even from up here, the North Shore is just about 20 minutes away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanksgiving on the Beach does sound a little weird, but I sure would like to try it at least once in my life just to clean off all of the moss on my north side. How big is your place there? Maybe I can move into a spare closet or something. Chris was always trying to sell me on that Skype thing, but I never took it too seriously. I guess that will have to change. I'm going to get signed up and then find a GOOD web cam so that we will be able to communicate just like the Jetsons! We will be so cool! Anyway, glad everything is going well and I will let you know when I'm wired up for our first video conference. Have a great Holiday Season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't realize there were more posts to this. The place we are renting is about 2500 square feet, but if we decide to buy next year, we will probably be downsizing (EXPENSIVE!!!) Although the house is two-story, we actually have good access through the garage to the first floor and then outside where those rainbows and pigs live (Pigs at the end of the rainbow...who knew?) Most houses I've seen in Hawaii seem to be pretty accessible, built on ground level on level ground.

    ReplyDelete