Wednesday, September 3

What We Did Last Summer, and What We'll Do This Fall








Hello everyone,


We will be moving west, way west, in October. I can't say exactly what day it will be, because that depends on how soon we can get an appointment to pack and ship all our household goods. I requested an October 2 departure, because the school the kids will be attending in Hawaii starts its second quarter on October 13 (the school is year round, with breaks of a couple of weeks between each quarter), but that may be a little optimistic. If all goes well, we will have a firm departure date by sometime next week.




Once we have that, we will decide how we are getting there. We may 1) drive out to Seattle (government is shipping only one vehicle, we have to sell or ship the other ourselves...$2100 from here, half that from Seattle, 2) fly from here to Billings so that we can make a little Yellowstone trip, something that Jane really wants to do, and then fly from there to Seattle, or 3) if short of time, fly straight from here to Seattle for a couple of days before heading out to Hawaii.




Although October 2 may be a little bit too optimistic, I'm afraid we won't be delaying it enough to be there when Eldora visits. On the positive side, while Baltimore to Seattle is about the same as Honolulu to Seattle, from Hawaii we may be able to fly to McChord on military aircraft for nothing, compared to an arm and a leg on civilian aircraft from here.




Here are a few pictures of the kids over the summer...common theme, most everything involved water...




Cheers, and hope to see the NW Jenks's soon.


6 comments:

  1. What about us Jenkses in the SW? We (I) would love to see you guys sometime too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm, California? I don't know about that...kinda scary down there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures Steve! Sounds like you guys had a great summer. I would have responded earlier except for two things.
    1) I was hoping to come up with some really cool pictures might come close to equaling yours. I got nothing.
    2) I was also hoping that if I waited long enough, your plans might be finalized and we would know what's happening. These things take time though, but we hope to see you out here sometime this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jay, and anyone else who might be reading this,
    We are leaving here on October 7, and arriving in Seattle early afternoon the same day. Then on October 9, we will leave Seattle for Hawaii...not much time, I know, but we need to get to Hawaii that day in order to register the kids for school the next day, so that they can start school the first day school starts back up on the following Monday. Also, I don't know the times of the flights into or out of Seattle yet, because the way the government works, they first give us tickets straight to our final destinations, then once we have those tickets, if we want to "deviate" (going to Seattle is deviating, you know), we have to call the airline and request the change. Pretty darned efficient, don't you think? I do know that we are scheduled to depart at 7:00 am (ouch) from Baltimore, so as long as I can find a good connecting flight, we should get to Seattle pretty early. I don't think I will know the times until Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just checked Delta's schedule, and if we are lucky, we will stay on the same flight out of Baltimore (Delta 727) and connect to Delta 1053 that gets into Seattle at 12:08...still plenty of seats on that flight, so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't mind me, I'm just posting to myself...doesn't look too good going out of Seattle...have to go through Salt Lake, and then only at 7:15 am; any later flights go through Salt Lake and Loss Angeles...double ouch. I probably didn't tell you that the government contracts with certain airlines for certain routes, which means I'm stuck with Delta...we may have to bite the bullet and do the double-stop thing...I just don't know if I can get these guys to the airport at 5:00 am...

    ReplyDelete